Adult Glass Fusing ClassesMerryl's Mosaics & Glass Studio
What is Glass Fusing?
Glass fusing involves firing glass in a kiln until it reaches a temperature that the glass melts and melds (fuses) together.
There are 3 basic levels of glass fusing: full fusing, when the glass melds comple
How do I begin?
Firstly, book a beginner orientation session (see the calendar for session times and availability). I offer a 1 hour private session where I equip you with the knowledge about the glass fusing process. After this you can purchase a four session pass which will enable you to learn, through a series of four workshops, all the skills you will need to create your own glass artpiece.
What happens in the workshops?
Typically, I run four glass-fusing classes as a workshop where you will learn the basics:
- Session 1: you will learn to cut straight lines and will make a small piece (either 2 coasters or a small plate) using those skills
- Session 2: I will teach you to do a variety of shapes and you will make another small piece using those skills
- Session 3: teach you to cut freehand and you will make something using those skills
- Session 4: Come in with something you want to make and I will assist you in making that.
Can I book session by session?
Once you have completed the four session workshops, you can book session by session and typically you will finish a piece in one or two session, unless it is quite complex.
When do I come in?
You can use your four session pass to come in whenever you like during session times. Most people come in at the same time every week but you can attend when convenient.
What costs are involved?
Each 2.5 hour session is $49.50. You can upgrade to either a four session pass and save.
Additional on-site costs may include:
- cost of glass and kiln use - this will depend upon what size piece you choose to work on and I can give you an idea of the prie beforehand. For example: For a coaster size this will be about $14 ea; for a small plate about $35; for a larger plater (about 10 inches by 10 inches) it will be around $80 - $95 (depends on glass and whether you will be firing once or twice) and so on.
I also typically run one Glass Fusing Intensive Day for Beginners once a term. This will be listed on the booking site so check if there is one coming up soon. That is an alternative way to get started.